Thursday, May 17, 2012

Welcome

A new book called "Seven Databases in Seven Weeks" has just been released. I was reading the first chapters when I though "wouldn't it be interesting to add some Grails specific knowledge to the book?". If I learn about the great concepts behind those seven databases, it would also be interesting to check how they work together with Grails.

I will document my findings in this blog. Mybe I will not only cover those 7 databases mentioned in the book, but also add those databases which I use in my daily work: MySQL and Oracle.

In theory, Grails uses hibernate to abstract the differences between the different databases you use. This works fine for relational databases, but even here are some traps hidden. When it comes to other types of databases like key-value or big data, I have no clue how they will play together with Grails.

Feel free to join me on my journey through the wonderful world of database programming!

Ralf

PS: please don't blame me if I do not manage to write about all databases in 7 weeks :-)

2 comments: